It is ok to say ‘no’ to alcohol. It is your choice.
6 things to do if you do decide to drink
- Eat before you drink because alcohol will enter the bloodstream more slowly through your stomach if there is food there to absorb it.
- Before you start drinking any alcohol at all, be clear how much you want to drink and when you’re going to stop.
- Make sure you drink soft drinks in between alcoholic drinks – this will stop you becoming too dehydrated.
- Try to have standard-sized drinks so you have a better understanding of how many units of alcohol you are consuming.
- If you go out and drink, make sure you know how you’re going to get home and always have some money put aside for a taxi in case you need it.
- Always tell someone where you’re going if you’re going out and think you’ll be drinking.