Latest News

Danger of #Paracetamol #Overdose

A teenager was reportedly hospitalised in Scotland due to a paracetamol overdose.

Paracetamol is widely available and has been around since the 1950s. It is widely prescribed and cheap to buy over-the-counter, making it a common drug taken in overdose. It is normally found as a 500 mg tablet, but it is often combined with other active ingredients in various preparations.

082186A8-F655-789B-74B729E4D00ECA41

In the UK it is the most common agent of intentional self harm. It is important to remember that, when used at therapeutic levels, paracetamol is usually safe and effective. However the toxic dose of paracetamol is highly variable and dependent upon a number of factors such as weight and general health. Higher than recommended doses can lead to an increasing risk of hepatotoxicity.

Paracetamol overdose may occur intentionally and accidentally – the latter due to the high number of combination products available over-the-counter. There are also frequent cases of accidental poisoning in children.

To read the full article please click on the link here:

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-05-26/children-risking-lives-in-dangerous-paracetamol-challenge-craze/

If you’re worried about your or somebody elses’ drug use there is a range of free and confidential treatment and recovery services available across Warwickshire:
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: