Put it out – right out!
Cigarette ends can smoulder for ages if not put out properly.
- Stub cigarettes out properly in an ashtray – make sure there’s no smoke.
- Pour water on cigar and cigarette ends before putting in a bin – ideally an outside bin.
- Leave a cigarette, cigar or pipe unattended.
- Balance cigars or cigarettes on the edge of an ashtray or anything else – they can tip and fall as they burn away.
- Empty a pipe into a bin – the ember can still be very hot even if it’s not smoking.
Using a proper ashtray is a good start to stopping fires from smoking.
- Empty and clean your ashtray regularly.
- Douse with water before putting the contents of the ashtray in the bin.
- Empty into a metal bin outside if you can.
- Keep paper, wrappers and other rubbish that could catch light out of your ashtray.
Read more here
Why not make stopping smoking your goal for 2016?
Smokers are four times as likely to be successful in quitting if they use Warwickshire’s Stop Smoking Service, this is completely free, find out more athttp://www.smokefreewarwickshire.org or call 0800 085 2917 or text LIFE to 80800