Put it out – right out!
Cigarette ends can smoulder for ages if not put out properly.
- Stub cigarettes out properly in an ashtray – make sure there’s no smoke.
- Pour water on cigar and cigarette ends before putting in a bin – ideally an outside bin.
- Leave a cigarette, cigar or pipe unattended.
- Balance cigars or cigarettes on the edge of an ashtray or anything else – they can tip and fall as they burn away.
- Empty a pipe into a bin – the ember can still be very hot even if it’s not smoking.
Using a proper ashtray is a good start to stopping fires from smoking.
- Empty and clean your ashtray regularly.
- Douse with water before putting the contents of the ashtray in the bin.
- Empty into a metal bin outside if you can.
- Keep paper, wrappers and other rubbish that could catch light out of your ashtray.