The Pension Regulator is warning people to be aware of pension scams, after thousands lost their life savings by falling victim.
They have published 10 Top Tips to follow to reduce your risk of becoming a victim:
1. Be wary of cold calls or unsolicited texts and emails
2. Check everything for yourself
3. Make sure your adviser is on the Financial Conduct Authority approved register
4. Check the FCA’s list of known scams
5. Steer clear of overseas investment deals
6. Don’t fall for ‘guaranteed’ returns or professional looking websites and brochures
7. Don’t be rushed into a decision
8. If you’re aged 50 or over and have a DC pension, talk to Pension Wise
9. Ask The Pensions Advisory Service for help if you have doubts
10. Contact your provider and call Action Fraud if you’ve already signed and think you have been scammed
Their website also shows a video based on a true story, to illustrate when to raise your concerns.
For more information about our work, please visit www.safeinwarwickshire.com/cybercrime
Be Cyber Streetwise is a cross-government campaign, funded by the National Cyber Security Programme. They aim to measurably and significantly improve the online safety behaviour and confidence of consumers and small businesses (SMEs).
Get Safe Online is the UK’s leading source of factual and easy-to-understand information on online safety. Their website offers advice on how you can protect yourself, your computers and devices, and your business against the likes of fraud, identity theft, viruses and other potential online problems.