To Mark Safer Internet Day 2017, The Internet Matters.org carried out research which revealed the online habits of young people and to demonstrate the changes in online behaviour since 2013.
The Infographic below highlights some of the changes that have occurred since 2013 in young peoples online habits. Some of the key statistics showed:
- Six year olds are as digitally advanced as ten year olds three years ago
- Parental supervision of those using computers has decreased to 43% from 53%
Here our some of our top tips for keeping your child safe online:
- Make sure your child is accessing only age-appropriate content by checking out the age ratings on games, online TV, films and apps.
- Discuss with your older children what they should or shouldn’t be showing their younger siblings on the internet, mobile devices, games consoles and other devices.
- Buy or download parental control software, switch it on and keep it updated. There are many versions on the market, which work in different ways and available at a range of prices, starting at free.