Retired homeowners are warned to beware of unexpected phone calls from sales people who are using scare tactics and claiming that the Government can take their home.
These callers may attempt to give the impression that they are legally trained solicitors and that their services are free of charge.
In reality however, they are sales people attempting to get homeowners to pay out potentially thousands of pounds to create trusts and similar legal devices with a view to protect a home or assets from being sold to pay for care fees.
Anyone receiving such a call should note:
- If you require legal advice, ensure you speak to an expert, for example a solicitor.
- Councils may view attempts to avoid residential care home fees in this way as deliberate deprivation of assets.
- Never buy goods or services from cold callers.
- Make a scam/rogue trader complaint to Trading Standards via Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506.
- Warwickshire Trading Standards Website Facebook Twitter
- Sign up to scam alerts at http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/scams
- Avoid rogue traders. Use Warwickshire Trading Standards No Rogue Traders Here approved trader scheme
- Please feel free to pass on or re-publish this email alert