As the clocks fall back, spring forward to boost your home security
The clocks go back this weekend, which means an extra hour in bed for most of us.
It also means the arrival of darker nights, making it a good time to think about home security and the simple steps you can take to reduce your risk of becoming a victim of burglary this winter.
- Check that all doors and windows are securely locked before leaving the house or going to bed.
- If you’re going away or out for the evening, set a timer switch to turn your lights on when it gets dark. Unlit houses are a giveaway that no one is at home.
- If you’re going to be away for a longer period of time, consider asking a neighbour or relative to clear the post away from the doormat and open and close the curtains.
- Never leave keys anywhere near the front door or letterbox; burglars know where to look.
- If you have a house alarm… USE IT. Make sure you set it when you go out and when you go to bed.
- If you’re closing up a shed or outbuilding for the winter, make sure you leave it secure. Fit and use a good quality padlock.
While you’re thinking about home safety, take a minute to check your smoke alarms. It could save your life!