Merry Christmas! #ChristmasCrimePrevention
We hope you’ve found the series of crime prevention tips we’ve been tweeting @SafeInWarks helpful in the run up to the big day. Visit https://safeinwarwickshire.com/ for more information.
In case you missed any, here they are in full:
- Running pre-Christmas errands? Cars left unlocked or with the windows open are tempting to thieves. Always lock doors and windows and remove keys from the ignition when your car is unattended.
- Heading out for Christmas drinks this evening? Have fun but stay safe. Watch out for your friends and always plan how you’re going to get home in advance. Make sure someone knows where you’re going, who you’re meeting and when you expect to return.
- When Christmas shopping, never leave presents or other valuables on open display in your car. Even shopping bags, jackets and loose change could attract a thief.
- In the busy run up to Christmas, take time to remember basic home security measures. Always close and lock external doors and windows when you go out, even if only for a short time. If you have a burglar alarm, use it!
- Unexpected callers over the festive season? Use a door chain and viewer, and only open the door to visitors when you’ve seen ID and are happy with their identity.
- Looking for a Christmas bargain? If something seems too good to be true it probably is. Cheap goods could well be stolen. If you’re offered a quality product for a price that seems way too low, ensure the source is genuine.
- It’s office Christmas party season! Have fun but stay safe. Don’t accept drinks from anyone you don’t know and never leave your drink unattended. Drink water or soft drinks between alcoholic ones to keep hydrated.
- Going away this holiday season? Make your property look occupied by leaving lights and a radio on timer switches. Cancel any newspaper or milk deliveries and ask a neighbour if they’d mind collecting mail and opening/closing the curtains.
- Still got some Christmas shopping to do? Keep your valuables in an inside coat pocket or bag and keep it close to your body. Be especially careful at cash machines and if paying by card when it’s busy – shield your pin at all times.
- If you’re heading out to a party or for some last minute shopping tonight, don’t make your car a target for thieves. Park in a safe, well-lit location and use secure car parks or areas covered by CCTV where possible.
- All ready for the big day? Don’t advertise your presents to thieves. Keep them out of sight in your home and dispose of packaging carefully. Take discarded present boxes to the tip if you can, or put them out just before your recycling is collected.
We hope you have a fantastic, and safe, holiday season.