Holiday home security
With the weather hotting up and the summer holiday season well underway, it’s time to take a few minutes to check your home security before jetting off abroad or heading out to enjoy the attractions closer to home.
Here’s a few tips to consider as part of your holiday preparations:
- Securely lock all doors and windows before leaving the house. It’s easy to
forget when you’re in a hurry, but it’s the simplest way for a burglar to enter your
- Don’t advertise the fact that your home is unoccupied. Think before you post information on social media, and make sure your posts can only be seen by your friends.
- A home that looks empty is far more likely to be targeted by a burglar, so it’s
worth making sure your home looks occupied. Use automatic timer-switches to turn on a light and perhaps a radio when it goes dark, even if you are just out for a couple of hours.
- If you’re away for longer periods of time, cancel any newspaper or milk
- Why not ask a neighbour or relative for help – could they clear the post away
from the door mat, open and close the curtains or park on your drive?
- Don’t leave items such as ladders and tools that may be used to break in accessible in your garden.
- Ensure your shed and garage doors are secure, and set your burglar alarm if you have one.
Finally, have a fantastic holiday!