Protect Yourself from Doorstep Crime during COVID-19
Criminals are using the COVID-19 crisis to commit doorstep crime Warwickshire Trading Standards is warning.
Many people are already accessing support from genuine community and voluntary groups in their area to help them with their shopping etc.
However, residents should beware of approaches from strangers. Stay safe, don’t let anyone into your home or hand over money to anyone you don’t know or trust. Never reveal your credit or debit card PIN. Thieves have been known to take cash up front and not return.
Residents should also beware of rogue traders offering ‘doorstep cleansing services’. These people offer to clean drives and doorways to kill bacteria and help prevent the spread of the virus. Trading Standards also understands that some people may be selling fake sanitisers, face masks and Covid-19 swabbing kits door-to-door. These products can often be dangerous and unsafe.
Advice from Warwickshire Trading Standards Service
1) Do not buy goods or services from unexpected doorstep callers.
2) If you require help and support, use the services of a genuine volunteer or community group. For more information visit: www.warwickshire.gov.uk/coronavirus or phone 01926 410410.
3) Do not reveal sensitive information such as your bank card PIN number to a doorstep caller.
4) Report suspicious doorstep visits or any type of scam to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133. Citizens Advice can provide telephone support and advice. They will also alert Warwickshire Trading Standards Service who can provide additional advice.
5) Keep up to date on the latest Coronavirus (COVID-19) scams/rogue trader alerts: www.warwickshire.gov.uk/consumeradvice