As the government’s system to trace people who might have come into contact with someone who has coronavirus gets under way, police are advising how to spot fraudsters who might use it to scam personal details.
Northumbria Police says if it’s really NHS Test and Trace calling you it will be from their single number 0300 0135 000 – athough there are reports con artists can make their call seem like it comes from that number.
The only website anyone should ask you to visit is the official NHS Test & Trace website.
Contact tracers will never:
- Ask you to dial a premium rate number (for example, those starting with 09 or 087)
- Ask you to make any form of payment
- Ask you for details about your bank account
- Ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone
- Ask you to purchase a product
- Ask you to download any software to your device or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet
- Ask you to access any website that does not belong to the Government or NHS