Census 2021 Text Scam
Warwickshire Trading Standards is warning residents to beware of Census scam text messages.
Residents have reported receiving a text message that states that the recipient made a mistake on their form and will have to pay a £200 fine. They are then directed to a bogus Census website.
Residents MUST NOT respond to these text messages, that may also appear as emails.
- At no point will you be asked for your national insurance number, passwords, bank account details, or your credit or debit card numbers, nor any payment
- You will not receive any payment for completing the census, so any offers of money in exchange for your account details will be fraudulent
- You will not be called for information about the census unless you’ve made an appointment with the Census Contact Centre or made a query or complaint
- No-one will enter your home in relation to the census
- Help to fill out your form is free (for more information visit: https://census.gov.uk/ or phone 0800 141 2021)
- You can report a fraud direct to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or visit: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
Rugby Residents, Beware of Door-to-Door Mattress Seller!
Rugby residents are urged not to buy mattresses from door-to-door salespeople. The warning follows a report of someone in a white van currently travelling the area selling mattresses.
Door-to-door mattress sellers may claim that their products are surplus stock from new development show homes or top of the range when really they are cheap imports that may not even meet UK fire safety regulations. They may even be second hand!
It’s hard to tell a good trader from a bad one on the doorstep.
Warwickshire Trading Standards Officers are advising residents not to buy from doorstep sellers. To make a consumer complaint, phone the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133. For more consumer advice visit: https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/consumeradvice