Being you is not a crime: hate crime is
What is a hate crime?
A hate crime is any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice based on a person’s:
- Race (including nationality, national origin, ethnic origin, race and colour)
- Sexual orientation
- Individual characteristic that makes someone appear different
Examples of hate crime
Any type of crime can be a hate crime. Examples include:
- Physical attacks
- Damage to property
- Offensive graffiti
- Threats of attack
- Offensive letters
- Abusive or obscene telephone calls
- Anti-social behaviour and intimidation
- Offensive language and harassment
What can you expect from the police?
All reports of hate crime will receive a police response. They may not be able to respond immediately, but they will act on all reports.
How do I report a hate crime?
You can report a crime in confidence in any of the following ways:
- Report online to True Vision
- In an emergency call 999
- For non-emergencies call 101
- Call in at a police station or stop police officers in the street
- Contact Victim Support on 0300 303 1977
- Contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
Victims of anti-Muslim hate can also report online to Tell MAMA or by calling them on 0800 456 1226. Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents. It is not a replacement for the Police Service. In an emergency, please call 999.
Warwickshire Hate Crime Action Plan 2015-16
Public and third sector partners across Warwickshire have developed a partnership action plan to prevent hate crime in the county, increase reporting and improve the response and support available for victims.
The action plan is delivered by the multi-agency County Hate Crime Group which reports to the Safer Warwickshire Partnership Board.
Warwickshire Hate Crime Annual Report 2016
The annual report below provides a summary of hate crime in Warwickshire during 2015/16 and partnership activity to address the issues.
Latest Hate Crime posts
- Extremism, radicalisation and grooming in Warwickshire. May 23, 2017 10:30 am
- Reporting Online Hate #hatecrime May 17, 2017 12:12 pm
- Landmark Ruling Orders #Facebook To Remove #HateSpeech From Its Site May 9, 2017 10:30 am
- Book Your Place For #WeStandTogether #HateCrime Event in #Rugby April 6, 2017 2:29 pm
- #Facebook & #Instagram Step Up Fight Against #RevengePorn April 6, 2017 8:00 am
- Spike In Online Hate Speech Following #Article50 Trigger March 30, 2017 12:00 pm